The concept of home automation with the help of switch or remote is an old technique. To overcome this here is a solution namely voice-controlled home appliance project. Voice controlled device is one of the major areas of prospect research. Imagine a world where the consumer can do each and every mission by just talking. We have previously seen some of the automobile industries have applied this to cars. Voice Controlled Home Appliances has several applications such as home appliance controlling as well as in industry. So mainly we are going to Control home appliance using voice commands. This proposed system uses human voice command to home appliances controlling.
There are two kinds of control operations. In the first one, the user has to speak into a microphone connected to the electronic circuit. And in another type user can speak in Android mobile or any other device and then this device sends commands to the project through wireless communication technique. In this project, we have used the second type of operation, which means voice controlling through the Android mobile application. One of the main purposes of this technique is to reduce the human efforts.
Voice Controlled Home Automation
The main objective of this project is to develop a home automation system with voice Android application controlled remote. Remote controlled home automation system provides a simpler solution with Android application technology. Remote operation is achieved by any smart-phone/Tablet etc., with Android OS, upon a GUI (Graphical User Interface) based touch screen operation.
The hardware and software requirements of the proposed system include 8051 series Microcontroller, Transformer, Opto-isolator, TRIAC, Voltage Regulator, Crystal, Diodes, Resistors, Capacitors, Lamps, Push Button and Bluetooth Device, Keil compiler and Languages: Embedded C or Assembly
What is Called Android?
Android is an open-source operating system which means that any manufacturer can use it in their phones free of charge. It was built to be truly open. For example, an application can call upon any of the phone’s core functionality such as making calls, sending text messages, or using the camera. Android is built on the open Linux Kernel. Furthermore, it utilizes a custom virtual machine that was designed to optimize memory and hardware resources in a mobile environment.
What is an Android Application for Mobile Phones?
An android app is meant for phones with android based operating systems. They can be downloaded from the Android app Market which is pre-loaded with every android phone. Blue control APP and Bluetooth APP are some examples.
Android mobile is very customizable. The open source operating system is easily changed, hacked, manipulated, and molded to fit whatever functionality you had in mind. Found on all platforms for all prices depending on what hardware and software version you are interested in. The battery is usually replaceable.
Comparison of Android with other OS
Android is open source software, manufacturers can modify the operating system to suit their respective needs and phones. This becomes a cheap and feasible alternative for the manufacturer, as opposed to developing an operating system in-house or hiring a software company to do it.
It’s not available on all carriers but this is expanding. The battery is not replaceable which is why all the I Phone users you know have it plugged in all the time as the battery degrades.
Windows Phone is closed-source, which means that it is solely developed by the company and protected by copyright. The Windows Store is limited as there only a few number of apps
Android Application Operated Bluetooth
The Android platform includes support for the Bluetooth network stack, which allows a device to wirelessly exchange data with other Bluetooth devices. The application framework provides access to the Bluetooth functionality through the Android Bluetooth APIs.
Features of Bluetooth
- Super simple and easy way to interface using Bluetooth stack.
- 3.3V Device with standard 5V DC Power source.
- Can also support SPI Protocol, pins are made available.
- Low power consumption, Low cost.
- Has high-performance wireless transceiver system
- Can be used to interface with PC, Mac or Android phones/tablets.
- Generic Default Visibility at Software side: HC-06 or Linvor
- Default Pairing code is not ‘0000’ but ‘1234’.
- Please use Baud Rate with 8-N-1 connectivity from another device.
- Works with any microcontroller with Serial connectivity.
It is a smaller computer, and it has on-chip RAM, ROM, I/O ports. The features of this microcontroller include the following.
- Compatible with MCS®-51 Products
- 8K Bytes of In-System Programmable (ISP) Flash Memory
- Endurance: 10,000 Write/Erase Cycles
- 4.0V to 5.5V Operating Range
- Fully Static Operation: 0 Hz to 33 MHz
- 256 x 8-bit Internal RAM
- 32 Programmable I/O Lines
- Three 16-bit Timer/Counters
- Eight Interrupt Sources
- Full Duplex UART Serial Channel
- Interrupt Recovery from Power-down Mode
- Watchdog Timer
- Dual Data Pointer
BC547 (NPN –Transistor)
- The BC547 transistor is an NPN Epitaxial Silicon Transistor.
- It is used in general-purpose switching and amplification BC847/BC547 series 45 V, 100 mA NPN general-purpose transistors.
- The ratio of two currents (Ic/Ib) is called the DC Current Gain of the device and is given the symbol of hfe or nowadays Beta, (β).
- The current gain from the emitter to the collector terminal, Ic/Ie, is called Alpha, (α), and is a function of the transistor itself.
- Opto-coupler MOC3061/63 an LED SCR type combination.
- Optocoupler is a 6 pin IC.
- Additionally while using this IC with a microcontroller and one LED can be connected in series with IC LED to indicate when high is given from microcontroller such that we can know that current is flowing in internal LED of the opto-IC.
- When a logic high is given current flows through LED from pin 1 to 2.So in this process LED light falls on SCR causing 6 & 4 to close only at the zero cross of the supply voltage.
- During each half cycle current flows through SCR gate, external series resistor and through to-scr for the main thyristor /TRIAC to trigger for the load at the beginning of the supply cycle always to operate.
Project Working Of Voice Control of Home Automation
The idea of home automation using human voice is an interesting. The proposed system is used to control home appliances using a voice-controlled Android device. A Bluetooth device is connected to the control unit for detecting signals which are transmitted to the Android device. This data is transmitted to the control unit which turns loads ON/OFF as preferred. As a controlling device, an 8051 series microcontroller is used.
Remote operation can be done by any android phone, upon a Graphical User Interface based voice operation. The Android application can be used at the transmitting end for the voice commands that are transmitted to digital bits. At the receiver end, these instructions are used for controlling the home appliances ON & OFF. At the receiving end, the home appliances are driven by power TRIACS through opto isolators that are interfaced to the microcontroller.
Serial communication data sent from the Android device is received by a Bluetooth receiver which is interfaced to the microcontroller. The microcontroller’s program refers to the serial data to produce particular o/p based on the input data to function the TRIACS through Opto coupler IC.
Furthermore, the project can also add a characteristic of controlling the loads using touchscreen operation.
From the above information, finally, we can conclude that user doesn’t have to get up from his position to manage the device. This is an advanced project which requires an Android-based device like smart-phone or tablet. Voice recognition technology is used inside the Android app. We can control device by using our voice. This project really proves useful for physically disabled people or senior citizens or elderly person at hour home or even those people who are injured and cannot walk or move.